My FB

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 38- Babywearing Success

Those of you who know me, know that I love babywearing.  I have about every type of carrier there is and I use them all daily.  I wear Jackson in the Ergo on my back or on my hip in our ring sling.  However, this post is about the necessity and benefits of using the carriers with a newborn, especially when you have a toddler!  With Vivienne I use the Sleepy Wrap, Baby K'tan, Moby Wrap, and ring sling.  I have the newborn insert for the Ergo, but prefer the wraps at this point.  
When babies are born they are still very much in need of contact with their mothers, thus the success of kangaroo care with premature babies.  There are so many benefits, but oftentimes people are unaware of how wearing your baby is beneficial beyond freeing up your hands.  Here is a link that sums of some of the reasons to babywear: http://www.mobywrap.com/t-babywearing.aspx

Now, it may not be for everyone and I'm certainly not going to judge people who choose not to use a wrap or carrier, but I honestly have no idea how I would survive from 4:00- 8:00 without it.  During that time tonight I cooked dinner (a mighty tasty Cheesy Ranch Chicken Lasagna), fed Jackson and Vivienne, did the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, gave Jackson his bath, got him dressed, did his breathing treatment, read Goodnight Moon, put him to bed, folded baby laundry, took out the trash, and swept the floors. Vivienne barely fussed and only when she needed changed or fed.  She was able to be a part of the family and the routine without taking away from time with Jackson.  I can easily carry both kids and no one is uncomfortable.  I just thought as I sat down to write this (with Vivienne in the sleepy wrap snoozing away) that these are not popular here- though I'm stopped every single time I leave the house by someone wanted to know what it is and where they can get it- and I wanted to share what a valuable tool these carriers are for having two babies under two years old. 

I'll try to get a picture of wearing Vivienne sometime soon so you all can see how easy it is. 

So as you can tell, we had a pretty successful day.  Jackson was very loving with Vivienne today and made lots of effort to give kisses and hugs, unsolicited.  He also let her sit next to him on the couch for a few minutes.  He's a great big brother and awesome about sitting with me on the couch reading books or playing by himself whenever I have to feed Vivienne.  The only issue we had today was nap time.  After he had been asleep for an hour I heard him fussing, but I never really heard him get up and within 5 minutes he was back asleep.  However, apparently in that 5 minutes he got himself and Mr. Monkey out of bed and couldn't get back in.  When he woke up for good an hour later and I went to get him, he was at the door and had carpet indentations on his face.   I'm thinking we'll have to take down half of the rail and teach him how to get back in bed.  We may also have to get a video monitor too, so I know when to go in and when to leave him.  Since that was the biggest issue of the day, I'll call today a success.  

Tomorrow Jackson is going to Ms. Brenda's and I have to take Vivienne in for a check up.  I have an IEP to write tomorrow, but other than that I'm hoping for a nice relaxing afternoon cuddling with Miss Vivienne. We're also going to try another pinterest recipe for dinner- I hope it's as good as tonight's was!



Why good morning little sister 
Cheese mama!

 My little monkey
Nap time with Miss Vivienne (while Jackson was napping) 
She sleeps in the strangest positions- already rough and tough like her brother 
Hugs in between mouthfuls of goldfish 
kisses too 
 I'm coming to get you mama
Ahhhhhh attack of Jackson 
Mouth :)  
It's OK Vivienne, don't be sad!
Hanging with Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment